Baby Sweater, Knitted Sideways
by Joyce M. - Angel Hugs member
Click on picture for larger view
Materials: Bernat Softee Baby 5oz/ 140gr
Needles: size 8 cdn/4mm
Cast on 60 sts. Knit 7 rows even in garter stitch. Proceed:
Repeat these 4 rows until 16 ridges have been worked in yoke ending at yoke edge with 3rd row. Note: 1 ridge equals 2 rows of plain knitting.
- Row 1: K48 Turn (the remaining 12 sts are for yoke)
- Row 2: K48.
- Row 3 & 4: K60.
**To Make sleeve:
K22, Slip remaining 38 sts. on st holder. Cast on 38 sts. for sleeve. (60 sts on needle.)
Repeat these 4 rows until 16 ridges have been worked at cuff edge, ending with 4th row.
- Row 1: K48. Turn.
- Row 2: K40. Turn. (The remaining 8 sts. are for the cuff.)
- Row 3: K52.
- Row 4: K60.
- Next Row: Cast off the 38 sleeve sts. K10 Turn.**
K10. Pick up and knit the 38 sts from st holder. (60 sts. on needle).
Continue knitting as given for front until 60 ridges have been worked in yoke ending at yoke edge with 3rd row. Repeat from ** to ** for other sleeve.
K10. Turn. Pick up and knit the 38 sts from st holder. (60 sts on needle). Continue knitting as given for left front until 88 ridges have been worked in yoke, ending at lower edge. Knit 6 rows even. Cast off. Do not break wool.
Having 1 st on needle, pick up and knit 1 st in each ridge around neck. 91 sts on needle.
- Row 1: K4. *K1, K2tog. Repeat from * to last 4 sts. K4. (64 sts on needle). Knit 4 rows even.
- Row 6: (eyelets) *K2. Wl.fwd. K2tog. Repeat from * to end of row. Knit 3 rows even. Cast off.
To Make Up:
Sew sleeve seams. Make a cord or use ribbon for eyelets.
Beginning at crown cast on 9 sts.
Continue in garter st to 3 3/4 inches from cast on.
- Row 1: K1 (wl.fwd. K1) 8 times
- Row 2 and alt. rows: Knit.
- Row 3: K1 (wl.fwd. K2) 8 times
- Row 5: K1 (wl.fwd. K3) 8 times
- Row 7: K1 (wl.fwd. K4) 8 times
- Row 9: K1 (wl.fwd. K5) 8 times
- Row 11: K1 (wl.fwd. K6) 8 times - 57 sts.
Knit 6 rows garter st and knit 6 rows stockinette st.
- Next row: K2 (K2tog, K9) 5 times - 52 sts.
Knit 10 rows garter st. Cast off loosely. Fold back edge over stockinette rows and sew to side.
- Next row: K2 (K2tog, K8) 5 times - 47 sts.
Neckband: Sew back seam 2 1/2 inches from base of crown.
With right side facing, pick up and K34 sts along lower edge.
Knit 1 row then cast off loosely.
- Next row: Eyelets: K2 *wl.fwd. K2tog. Repeat from * across.
Cast on 33 sts. Work 8 rows (4 ridges) garter st.
Knit stockinette st. till it measures 2 1/2 inches from beginning.
Eyelets: K1 *(wl.fwd, K2tog) Repeat from * across.
Purl 1 row.
Toe and Sole: work in garter st.
K23 turn K1 P11 k1. Knit 14 rows.
Pick up 10 sts along each side of instep - 53 sts.
Knit 8 rows.
Cast off and sew seam.
- Row 1: (K1, K2tog, K21, K2tog) twice, K1.
- Row 2: K1, K2tog, knit to last 3 sts, K2tog, K1.
- Row 3: (K1, K2tog, K18, K2tog) twice, K1
- Row 4: as 2nd row
Copyright © 2000 - 2014 Angel Hugs . All rights reserved.